Safe-Sea is a premium blend of 3 pure, sustainable ingredients.
Green Lipped Mussel Oil
- While fish, krill and squid oil only supply EPA and DHA omega fats, Green Lipped Mussel is more complete. It's the world's richest source of ETA, an omega-3 fat that's well researched for its anti-inflammatory properties, plus other immune supporting fatty acids.
- Forget about hemp! Ahiflower contains 60% more GLA, the anti-inflammatory omega-6 fat. Plus it contains 10x more SDA ... a precursor to both ETA and EPA, two important anti-inflammatory fats. Our Ahiflower is non-GMO and grown in the UK and Prince Edward Island, Canada.
- The Astaxanthin in Safe-Sea is 100% sustainable and natural, never synthetic. Its unique molecular structure makes Astaxanthin the "King Of Antioxidants." Astaxanthin is 500 times stronger than vitamin E and 6,000 times stronger than vitamin C.
- Farmed fish is fed soy and corn, which adds unhealthy omega-6 fats like linoleic acid. Wild caught fish and squid aren't sustainable ... 25 tonnes of wild fish are harvested for oil and fertilizer each year. And harvesting krill oil robs declining populations of whales and sea animals of their food source.
- Green Lipped Mussel is sustainably farmed in the pristine, nutrient-rich waters of New Zealand. Our mussels grow on ropes and absorb the phytoplankton from the water. Since phyoplankton grows from sunshine, our mussels don't compete for food with other marine animals ... and controlling phytoplankton controls algae blooms.
- Green Lipped Mussel Oil contains 30 fatty acids, while fish and other marine oils only contain two. It's also the only significant source of ETA (eicosatetraenoic acid), an important anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acid.
- Green Lipped Mussel Oil is rich in phospholipids ... an important source of omega-3 fatty acids. Phospholipids are better absorbed and are more resistant to oxidation. A 1997 study published in Inflammopharmacology states phospholipids make Green Lipped Mussel Oil 158 times more effective than fish oil.
- Safe-Sea contains Ahiflower, a plant derived source of important omega fatty acids. Ahiflower contains GLA, an omega-6 fat associated with skin health and reduced inflammation. Ahiflower contains 60% more GLA (gamma linolenic acid) than hemp oil.
- Ahiflower also contains more SDA (stearidonic acid) than any other plant source. SDA is a precursor for EPA, the anti-inflammatory omega-3 found in fish oils.
- While Green Lipped Mussel Oil is one of the most complete sources of omega-3s, adding the GLA and SDA from Ahiflower makes Safe-Sea a compete, premium oil for dogs.
- Because Green Lipped Mussels feed on phytoplankton, they're not as easily contaminated with mercury, PCBs and dioxins like salmon, herring and other fish. They're also grown in clean waters. Green Lipped Mussel oil is strictly controlled by the New Zealand government to ensure the supply is high quality and sustainable.
- Our Green Lipped Mussels are carefully freeze dried and never heated to stabilize the delicate oils. Every batch of Safe-Sea Green Lipped Mussels is independently tested for heavy metals, PCBs and toxins.
- Our Ahiflower is non-GMO and grown in the UK and PEI under strict environmental regulations. Every batch is tested to be free of pesticides and heavy metals.
Can I replace my fish oil with Safe-Sea?
Yes! We feel Safe-Sea is more beneficial than fish oil because it contains more fatty acids … about 10 times more! Green Lipped Mussel is also more bioavailable than fish oil, so you need to give your dog a lot more fish oil.
Marine oils are also lacking in GLA, an important anti-inflammatory omega fat … but the Ahiflower in Safe-Sea is an excellent source of GLA. It contains 60% more than hempseed oil.
Should I put Safe-Sea in the fridge?
Green Lipped Mussels are already rich in antioxidants and we’ve added astaxanthin, so Safe-Sea could be stored in a cool, dark place. But if you have room in your fridge, it will ensure the oils are as effective as possible. If the bottle is open for more than 30 days, then it’s a good idea to place Safe-Sea in the fridge.
Could I just use fresh or powdered mussels instead?
In most cases, it would be best to use Green Lipped Mussel oil for a few reasons:
1. It’s more concentrated. You would need to give your dog about 15X more powder to get the same amount of omega-3 fats. This might be too much powder for your dog to consume.
2. If your dog has a shellfish allergy, there are no proteins to trigger an allergic reaction.
3. Many Green Lipped Mussel powders are stripped of the fats before they’re sold. This waste product is sold mainly as pet supplements, but without the fat, your dog won’t get the same health benefits.
Why does Safe-Sea contain Ahiflower?
Marine oils, including Green Lipped Mussel oil, lacks an important anti-inflammatory fatty acid called GLA (gamma-linolenic acid). GLA is an effective anti-inflammatory that’s been shown to decrease pain and functionality associated with arthritis … and it’s important for a healthy skin and coat.
Is Safe-Sea Eco Friendly?
Our Green Lipped Mussels are grown in bays in New Zealand. They hang on ropes in pristine waters are are ready to harvest in 12 to 18 months. They filter phytoplankton from the water and need no other food, which means their farming has zero impact on the environment. They don’t eat anything needed by other sea creatures because there is always phytoplankton in water.
Ahiflower is non-GMO and is sustainably growing in the UK and PEI. Every batch is fully traceable and tested to be free of pesticides, heavy metals, PCBs and other toxins.
Will Safe-Sea help with my dog’s joint pain?
The fatty acids in Safe-Sea and anti-inflammatory and can hep improve joint health. For best results, we recommend combining Safe-Sea with Green Eggs.
How does Safe-Sea compare to Phytoplankton?
Because Green Lipped Mussels feed on phytoplankton, they deliver the same fats and benefits … but in a much more concentrated form that’s very bioavailable.